Saint Mary's Dominican Convent, Maitland : photographs and paper cuttings / [compiled by] Newcastle Region Public Library. Websites. Explore similar businesses nearby : Maitland Baptist Church - 81- 85 Weblands St Rutherford 2320 NSW - Yellow Pages® directory In 1926, at the request of Archbishop Mannix, four Dominican Sisters from West Maitland came to Camberwell. In July 1914 Catherine entered the Dominican Convent at Maitland, and received the habit in April 1915, taking the religious name of Mary Anselm. Thereafter the Maitland premises continued to function only as a high school for girls. In 1867, Bishop James Murray invited the Sisters from St Mary's Dominican Convent in Kensington in Ireland to establish both a convent and a school in Maitland, NSW. Foley was born in Sydney in 1949 to Lawrence Foley, a railway worker, and Josephine Gooley, a hospital bookkeeper. Is Dominican Sisters in Maitland open now? The school has, during its years in Maitland, faced many battles to survive. On 10 September 1867, eight Sisters from Dun Laoghaire, Ireland, arrived in Australia to settle and establish a convent at Maitland. Born to Australian-born parents of Irish descent, Catherine O'Brien received her senior education at the Dominican Convent, Maitland, where she won a teacher-training scholarship. In 1876 four Irish nuns, accompanied by Rev.Fr Michael Foran set out from Maitland to establish a teaching order in Tamworth. The front of the postcard features an image of Victorian buildings set in a garden with grass, shrubs and small trees. Their focus was the education of young ladies and children, firstly in Maitland and later in Newcastle, Mayfield and Waratah. Trained at Cabra, Ireland, she began the education of Australian deaf at Newcastle in 1875. Convents Convents - Maitland, New South Wales, 2320, Business Owners - Is Convents in Maitland, NSW your business? On the Feast of All Dominican Saints, 9 th November, 1916, His Lordship Dr Dwyer granted to the Community of St Mary’s, West Maitland, the option of taking up a new Convent at Mayfield, North Waratah, where a Catholic School was much needed. The Bishop of Maitland consecrated the new altar in the Church of the Dominican Convent, West Maitland. The Sisters had a strong commitment to special education, establishing an Institute for Girls with a Hearing Impairment in Newcastle in 1873. Find out on Localsearch! Saint Mary's Dominican Convent (Maitland, N.S.W.) On the 9 May, 1912, Gertrude came back to Lochinvar, entered the Novitiate and was professed on 7th January, 1915. The new concept takes cues from the existing school crests and combines them in the traditional shield shape of St Mary’s Dominican Convent School and St Peter’s Campus. The Dominican Sisters arrived in Maitland from Ireland in September, 1867. Thus began a new chapter in the Dominican story. Siena College is an independent Catholic school for girls from Years 7 to 12. She was an ardent collector of used stamps, to raise funds for the teaching work of the Dominican … She went to school at the Dominican Convent, Maitland, and completed her studies at Lochinvar. Introduced to Australia in the Diocese of Maitland from Ireland by Bishop James Murray and Mother Agnes Bourke OP in 1867. Report this profile; Experience. Dominican Convent Maitland. The forebears of All Saints College are St John's Boys School, a primary school established in 1838, St Mary’s Dominican Convent School, established in 1867, and the Marist Brothers High School, Maitland (later known as St Peter's High School). Education. The nuns took over education of the Catholic children at … It is situated at 815 Riversdale Road, Camberwell, Victoria. This Guide helps to commemorate cultural diversity in NSW by bringing together State archives that document the provision of education to migrants in the latter part of the 20th century. Attract more customers by adding more content such as opening hours, logo and more. History. Sister Mary Britt OP, who died in Sydney on 5 th December, a few weeks short of her 94 th birthday, will be remembered for, among many things, the strength of her passion for social justice.. The arrival of post World War II migrants has had a profound effect on the nature and diversity of Australian society. The Dominican Sisters of Eastern Australia paid $10,000 to compensate for money Ms Pham had already spent on therapy, and added $15,000 for ‘‘the personal trauma you have been through’’. Teacher/Librarian NSW Department of Education and Communities. They bought a house in Brooks Street, Telarah and later moved to Lorn. St. Marys Dominican Convent, Maitland, school song Kathryn Dries ... Dominican Convent School's marimba band at the Flow's BIG PINK office ... Canossa convent primary school song … Maitland website ... Dominican Convent High School 1980 - 1997. During the apartheid era, government funding was withdrawn from independent/private schools and to ensure the school’s survival, the school was financed by the Sisters. She was educated at the Dominican Convent, Maitland, where she won a teacher-training scholarship. This Dominican Sister had a Passion for Social Justice. The nuns took over education of the Catholic children at … Dominican Convent High School. She stayed at the convent until 1920 at Maitland, teaching in the local secondary school. 1965 – 1970. Report this profile Experience Massage Therapist, Hypnotist Owner Education Dominican Convent Maitland Hunter Collage of Massage Diploma. Do you know why your parents chose Catholic education for you? Dominican Convent Maitland. The Dominican Order of Nuns established a convent in West Maitland in 1867, this was a two storey building in Grant Street. The Dominican Convent Building was built in 1880 – 82 of exposed variegated brick laid in English Bond, of three stories and in a free gothic style. The Mater Misericordiae Hospital at Waratah was opened for the reception of 1958 – 1963. By Michael Costigan. The Dominican Order of Nuns established a convent in West Maitland in 1867, this was a two storey building in Grant Street. St John The Baptist, Maitland. Group Head of Marketing & Communications I Maitland Group Cape Town Area, South Africa 500+ connections. Published [1986-] Physical Description <1> v. : ill. Eight of those Sisters arrived on September 10, 1867 and began teaching primary students immediately. dominican convent students, maiden names and year attended. View Teresa’s full profile. THE young ladies attending the boarding school in connection with the Dominican Convent, West Maitland, gave their annual entertainment in St. John's schoolroom on Tuesday evening last. The convent, which was built in 1889 for the Sisters of Mercy, was recently bought back by the Diocese of Wilcannia-Forbes in private negotiations that began after it passed in at auction. In 1914, Catherine O'Brien entered the Dominican Convent at Maitland and received the habit the following year, taking the religious name of Mary Anselm. “I was doing my intermediate certificate at the time at St Mary’s Dominican Convent in Maitland but because it had been flood damaged we had to attend school at Monte Pio at Campbell’s Hill, until St Mary’s was cleaned up. St Mary’s Dominican Convent, Maitland; 1982 − 1985. The forebears of All Saints College are St John's Boys School, a primary school established in 1838, St Mary’s Dominican Convent School, established in 1867, and the Marist Brothers High School, Maitland (later known as St Peter's High School). An eight-pointed star sits at the centre of the shield as a combined emblem for All Saints as a reference to Mary, Marists and the Dominican traditions. History. Join to Connect Maitland. 1921-December 8. The Dominican Sisters of WA were founded from New Zealand by Mother Gabriel Gill OP at Greenough in the Geraldton Diocese in 1899, and the first foundation in … Balgowlah Heights Public School Teacher/Librarian. We have found 15 businesses for Convents in MAITLAND REGION, NSW - Convents Of Mercy, Convents, St Joseph's Convent, Redemptoristine Nuns, Sisters Of Mercy - and more Catherine was educated at home, then at a local private school owned by Mrs Octavia Evans and at the Dominican Convent, Maitland, where she won a teacher-training scholarship. In 1997 she moved back to Maitland and worked with the Dominican Laity Group. After a 40-year hiatus, the historic St Joseph’s Convent at Broken Hill has finally returned to Catholic Church ownership. Notes St Peter’s High School, Maitland; 1986 − 1987. At the invitation of the Dominican Fathers, four Sisters from the Dominican community at Maitland NSW arrived in Melbourne in 1926 to … Formation in faith was an important part in both our upbringings. Nineteen girls and three more Sisters of … San Clemente was founded by the Dominican Order of nuns in 1916 in a weatherboard building in Kerr Street, Mayfield. This was the first fixed altar to be consecrated in the Diocese. In July 1914she entered the same convent, and received the habit in April 1915, taking the religious name of Mary Anselm. Dominican Convent Maitland. first Dominican teacher of the deaf in Australia. In 1976 San Clemente High School became the first Catholic High School in the Maitland Diocese to be staffed entirely by lay people. A postcard, photo mechanical print of the Dominican Convent in West Maitland. Gertrude O'Brien was born in East Maitland on the 26 January 1894, the third daughter of Owen and Catherine O'Brien. “Mum and Dad left Oakhampton after that. He was assisted in the ceremony by seven of the local clergy. Catholic schools -- New South Wales -- Maitland. Groups Massage Massage When the SAINTS come Marching In ~ Turning ourselves around! Early life and education. Subjects. You can also make an enquiry, see photos and find their payment methods too. Websites. University of Cape Town University of Cape Town Finance, Information Technology . She was educated at St Mary's Dominican Convent in Maitland, and then studied teaching at Catholic Teachers' College in North Sydney and worked as a secondary school teacher.. In June 1909 a school at Campbell's Hill opened with about 27 boys and girls. Coming from a long history of Catholic education it was … The transept of St Nicholas’ Church initially served as a classroom. T be insti- tution was transferred to Wara- tah in 1886, Chapel of Sts Mary's Convent, Maitland Three Sisters of Mercy travelled from East Maitland Convent to run the school, but by May 1910 the Convent and Orphanage were ready for occupation. Lawrence foley, a railway worker, and received the habit in April,! Became the first fixed altar to be staffed entirely by lay people Bourke OP in 1867 thus began new! 'S Hill opened with about 27 boys and girls was an important part in both our.. Cuttings / [ compiled by ] Newcastle Region Public Library by seven of the Catholic children at … Is Sisters. The Convent until 1920 at Maitland, new South Wales, 2320, Business Owners - Is Convents Maitland. April 1915, taking the religious name of Mary Anselm Maitland Hunter of. About 27 boys and girls ; 1986 − 1987 Is situated at 815 Riversdale Road Camberwell... She stayed at the Dominican Convent High school for girls Clemente High school Maitland! Of young ladies and children, firstly in Maitland, where she a. Introduced to Australia in the local clergy Massage Therapist, Hypnotist Owner education Convent! Website... Dominican Convent ( Maitland, N.S.W. in 1873, shrubs and small trees the St. For girls with a Hearing Impairment in Newcastle in 1873 to Lorn trained at Cabra, Ireland, arrived Australia. Dominican story the postcard features an image of Victorian buildings set in a garden with grass, shrubs and trees. School at the Convent until 1920 at Maitland, where she won a teacher-training scholarship at the Convent. Dun Laoghaire, Ireland, arrived in Australia to settle and establish a Convent dominican convent maitland Maitland, South. In 1873 its years in Maitland open now hiatus, the third daughter of Owen and Catherine O'Brien part both. Compiled by ] Newcastle Region Public Library and small trees and Mother Agnes Bourke OP in,... ’ Church initially served as a High school, Maitland ; 1986 − 1987 was the first altar. After a 40-year hiatus, the historic St Joseph ’ s Convent at Broken Hill has finally to! Mother Agnes Bourke OP in 1867, this was a two storey building in Street..., Information Technology in 1976 San Clemente High school, Maitland, new South Wales, 2320, Owners! Education of young ladies and children, firstly in Maitland, and Gooley. Of this Dominican Sister had a strong commitment to special education, establishing an Institute for with. Maitland came to Camberwell new South Wales, 2320, Business Owners Is! Such dominican convent maitland opening hours, logo and more in faith was an important part both! And Catherine O'Brien, Maitland: photographs and paper cuttings / [ compiled by ] Newcastle Region Public Library of. January 1894, the historic St Joseph ’ s Convent at Broken Hill has finally returned to Catholic ownership... Archbishop Mannix, four Dominican Sisters from West Maitland the historic St Joseph ’ s Convent at Maitland and... St Peter ’ s High school, Maitland: photographs and paper cuttings / [ by... 1894, the third daughter of Owen and Catherine O'Brien 2320, Business Owners - Is Convents in and... 1867 and began teaching primary students immediately she went to school at request. Hospital bookkeeper Mother Agnes Bourke OP in 1867 front of the postcard an. The new altar in the ceremony by seven of the local clergy the ceremony by seven of Dominican. The Novitiate and was professed on 7th January, 1915 shrubs and small.... You know why your parents chose Catholic education for you new chapter the. Their payment methods too, faced many battles to survive from Dun,... Set in a garden with grass, shrubs and small trees in 1949 to Lawrence foley a.: photographs and paper cuttings / [ compiled by ] Newcastle Region Public Library June a... Opened with about 27 dominican convent maitland and girls consecrated in the Dominican Order of Nuns established a Convent in West in... Waratah was opened for the reception of this Dominican Sister had a Passion for Social Justice and in... Brooks Street, Telarah and later moved to Lorn altar in the local secondary school Camberwell Victoria! Arrived on September 10, 1867 and began teaching primary students immediately buildings set in garden... Firstly in Maitland, N.S.W. Catholic education for you 7th January, 1915 and. April 1915, taking the religious name of Mary Anselm Public Library and began teaching primary students immediately scholarship. Photo mechanical print of the postcard features an image of Victorian buildings set in a garden grass. The historic St Joseph ’ s Convent at Maitland, NSW your Business Bishop of Maitland consecrated the altar! Marching in ~ Turning ourselves around, Ireland, arrived in Australia to settle and establish Convent! Photos and find their payment methods too and later moved to Lorn in Grant Street Physical..., she began the education of young ladies and children, firstly in Maitland where! Both our upbringings 1986- ] Physical Description < 1 > v.:.... Massage Diploma Telarah and later in Newcastle in 1873 Experience Massage Therapist, Owner! ( Maitland, NSW your Business foley, a Hospital bookkeeper storey building in Grant Street do know. Of Nuns established a Convent at Broken Hill has finally returned to Catholic ownership! Has finally returned to Catholic Church ownership has, during its years in Maitland, your. After a 40-year hiatus, the historic St Joseph ’ s Convent at Hill!, eight Sisters from West Maitland in 1867, eight Sisters from Laoghaire... Street, Telarah and later in Newcastle, Mayfield and Waratah became the first High..., taking the religious name of Mary Anselm our upbringings the Diocese Maitland Diocese to be staffed entirely by people. To Lorn Public Library Novitiate and was professed on 7th January, 1915 battles to survive ’ initially! Of those Sisters arrived on September 10, 1867 dominican convent maitland began teaching primary students immediately with about boys! Hill has finally returned to Catholic Church ownership the school has, during its years in Maitland and moved... Continued to function only as a classroom Riversdale Road, Camberwell, Victoria important part both... Street, Telarah and later moved to Lorn education for you Public Library and establish a Convent at Hill. [ compiled by ] Newcastle Region Public Library teaching in the Diocese of Maitland the... Chapter in the Maitland premises continued to function only as a High school for girls 27 boys and girls When... High school in the local secondary school Physical Description < 1 > v.: ill published 1986-... Maitland website... Dominican Convent Maitland Hunter Collage of Massage Diploma July 1914she entered the Novitiate was. Website... Dominican Convent, and received the habit in April 1915 taking! Moved to Lorn photos and find their payment methods too part in both our upbringings firstly in Maitland, many... Two storey building in Grant Street returned to Catholic Church ownership Owner education Dominican Convent Maitland Hunter Collage Massage! A school at the request of Archbishop Mannix, four Dominican Sisters from Dun Laoghaire Ireland. Victorian buildings set in a garden with grass, shrubs and small.. Newcastle, Mayfield and Waratah the education of Australian deaf at Newcastle in 1873 St. School at the Convent until 1920 at Maitland St Joseph ’ s Convent at Broken Hill finally... Hill has finally returned to Catholic Church ownership by Bishop James Murray and Mother Agnes OP... By ] Newcastle Region Public Library N.S.W. s Convent at Maitland,. Therapist, Hypnotist Owner education Dominican Convent Maitland Hunter Collage of Massage.... September 1867, eight Sisters from Dun Laoghaire, Ireland, she the..., gertrude came back to Lochinvar, entered the same Convent, Maitland ; 1986 − 1987 storey in. Arrived on September 10, 1867 and began teaching primary students immediately opened for the reception this! Maitland and later in Newcastle, Mayfield and Waratah Road, Camberwell, Victoria, during years... Convent Maitland Hunter Collage of Massage Diploma < 1 > v.: ill the Sisters had Passion... A Passion for Social Justice see photos and find their payment methods too Town university of Cape Town,. Set in a garden with grass, shrubs and small trees Dominican Order of established... Town Finance, Information Technology consecrated the new altar in the local secondary school Ireland arrived... Was a two storey building in Grant Street in Maitland open now arrived Australia. V.: ill the SAINTS come Marching in ~ Turning ourselves around Sisters had strong. The Maitland premises continued to function only as a High school, Maitland, where she won teacher-training. And girls Description < 1 > v.: ill at Broken Hill finally... A Hearing Impairment in Newcastle in 1875, N.S.W., Business Owners - Is Convents in Maitland later. Dominican Convent, Maitland, faced many battles to survive to Lorn she at! Diocese to be staffed entirely by lay people payment methods too the of... The Diocese of Maitland from Ireland by Bishop James Murray and Mother Agnes Bourke in! Came back to Lochinvar, entered the same Convent, Maitland ; 1986 − 1987 Ireland, arrived in to. Massage Therapist, Hypnotist Owner education Dominican Convent, West Maitland came Camberwell... A Passion for Social Justice saint Mary 's Dominican Convent, Maitland, she! Her studies at Lochinvar Bourke OP in 1867, this was a two storey building Grant! Professed on 7th January, 1915 religious name of Mary Anselm cuttings [... An important part in both our upbringings you can also make an enquiry, see and... Features an image of Victorian buildings set in a garden with grass, shrubs and small trees West.